TIRE SIZE-- BUCKING THE F*CKING TREND




The current craze of running as large a wheel as possible and low-profile tires may look great. But as anyone who has done it can testify, it's tough on wheels and creates a lot of drama in the real world of speedbumps, driveway pitches, and curbs waiting to scuff your beautiful new wheels.

Been there, done that, and it flat sucks. 

For those reasons and more, I'm splitting the difference. I've chosen classic 60's style wheels in a slightly larger-than-classic size. 17X7 in front, and 18X8 in the rear. My wheels will be American Torq Thrusts with the grey spokes because I hate having to spend time polishing wheels. I may paint the spokes closer to the silver of my bumpers and grill. Time will tell.

This brings me to tire sizes. 

Even though I've gone to extraordinary lengths to lower the front end of Ratiki for a lower drivable ride height I'm going to run a sidewall profile that has some height to it and helps safeguard the rims and gives me a little safety net. 

No rubberband tires for this driver.

I also want to air on the side of having the tire tuck up into the front wheel well which now has almost four inches of extra internal clearance. So I'll be going against the as-much-rber width as I can possibly get on 7" front rims. I want as little tire bulge as possible so that my front fender clearance is decent at a lower ride height. Lord knows I've done the fabrication work to give it inner fender-well clearance.

Now it's down to proper execution and not getting too tread-happy. With all that in mind, I'm comparing 50, 55, and 60 series tires. 

And here is where I am netting out:

REAR: 255/60/18
FRONT: 215/60/17

REAR TIRE CONSIDERATIONS: When we removed the Wheel Vintique wheels I had custom-made for  a dozen years ago, the 275-60-17 rear tires had evidence of rubbing and I found small wheel spacers on the rears. Not good for a real-world driver. All other things being equal in size between the new wheels and my old ones other than the new one being an inch larger in diameter, I'm avoiding 275s.

But that said, having the tires as wide as possible in the rear appeals to me, even if it means rolling the inner fender lips. 

So I've resigned myself to put a little less tire on the back. The operative term being, a little less.

TOP CHOICE


'


ALT OPTIONS




Below, are a couple of options for the front tires. 
It's important to note that clearing the fenders is an important aspect of this choice. I don't want to over-stuff my rim, so I'm making sure I run a taller tire without too much sidewall bulge so that it tucks nicely into the front wheel wells and gives me a modicum of turning radius. 
Being an inch less in diameter and width than the rears is a little insurance policy.
 The 60 series tires seem to fit the bill nicely for my front tire selection.

                                                                        TOP CHOICE








ALT SIZES



 

Comments

Popular Posts