5.3.21 TIRE SIZING

With my American Torq Thrust II wheels on order, it's time to start thinking about the ideal tire size to bring the truck to a nice low ride height and keep the rake I already like so well.

To assure that I continue to have a slight rake, I've decided to run staggered wheels sizes consisting of 18X8" rear wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 17X7" front wheels with 4" backspacing. 

Let's start by establishing what I'm currently running.

My rears are 17X8" Wheel Vintique smooth steelies with 275/60/17s with a diameter of 30"

My fronts are 16X7" and my tires are 255/60/16s with a diameter of 29.1" 

So,  I'm already doing the staggered thing and I'm both an inch larger and wider out back. 

I'll be doing the same again only with 18s and 17s. And I want to ride a little lower. 

Therefore, options I'm considering:

BFG G-Force Comp IIs:

REAR: 235/45/18 with a 26.7 diameter. (3.3" less diameter)

205/45/17 24.3" diameter ideal for 6.6 - 7'5 rim. (4.8" less diameter)

It's my hope that not stuffing the wheel wells with as much tire as possible (as I did before) will minimize the rubbing I saw evidence of in the rear wheel wells. In the front, I'm wanting to take advantage of the almost four inches of additional wheel travel thanks to my mini tubs by not overstuffing the wells. 

It's my plan to go lower with tire profiles, slightly larger with wheel diameters, and to ride lower from the get-go. As I'll be going back to stock ride height spindles and a pancaked cross member, I should ride about an inch higher in front with the airbags up and a couple inches lower with the bags down.

Bear in mind my entire goal here is a low driveable ride height, as opposed to laying frame. 

Onward!



Comments

Popular Posts