4.23.21 THE FIVE-BOLT REAR AXLE SWAP (GIANT HASSLE)

It seemed fairly simple and it would have been if the Speedway Motors axle swap kit had only fit properly. After fighting it for an entire day, we came to the realization that one axle, while correct in every other way, was not going to fit.

Cheap shit. 

My body and paint guy suggested taking the existing axles to a machine shop and having them retapped for 5X5" bolt pattern. 

Problem solved and roughly a third the cost of the kit. 

I had the machinist drill the existing drums, too. 

So back to Speedway goes the ill-fitting axle shaft. I hope they don't resell it to another victim. 

Lesson learned. Aftermarket parts are not to be trusted. 

BUYER BEWARE: Speedway Motors Axle Swap kit cost me a day I'll never 
get back and a ton of aggravation. Back it goes.


Comments

Popular Posts