3.15.21 RAISING THE STEERING BOX

Here's one of those times when the shots I take come in handy. A couple (2-3) months back, I removed my aftermarket steering box mount. Since then, I've pancaked the cross member, meaning two things:

1. Mods are progressing nicely.

2. I need to make a custom mount to compensate for the revised cross member. 

So to refresh m memory, I'm studying my shots as I prepare to make a mount to move the steering box up 1.5" (the same amount that the cross member is sectioned) and forward an inch to make up for the fact that I'll by mounting the modified cross-member 1" forward.

Doing so will center the front wheels and give me a little welcome breathing room between the firewall and the rear valve covers. Seeing at the truck was already lowered with an airbag suspension a dozen years ago, I found evidence that the firewall had been bludgeoned a bit to create clearance for the motor when the truck is lowered.

Part of the current renovation of the truck is to share up issues like this, as I damn near shaved the firewall clean and want to have the installation of my new 383 stroker engine be as tidy as possible. 

And so, I study my shots. 



This shot is of the out mounting plate sowing the steering linkage

This is the support bracket mounted inside of the front frame.


This sht is of the steering box mounted at the outer frame.


Bolts out, plate back in. 






This plate was sandwiched between the outer frame and the steering box




This is the plate re-attached to the box 
'
'
Need to figure out if going up 1.5" and forward 1" is going to require frame and/or inner fender mods. 




Comments

Popular Posts