3.14.21 DETAILING THE SUSPENSION AND PREPARING FOR 5-LUG CONVERSION.

 


Perhaps the grubbiest job I've done so far is the detailing of the front suspension. 
The suspension is like a magnet for grunge and I've gone through a whole bottle of degreaser and probably four or five hours of wire-wheeling, steel-wooling, scouring and road tar removal. 
I'll soon be painting these fresh and reassembling them. 

I needed to purchase pickle-forks to drive the tire rods, lower control arm, and upper control arm loose. 
I've decided to do one side at a time, so that I can refer to the other side for reference and reasssembly.
I'll be detailing the driver side first, painting the spindles, brake calipers, and control arms. 


Early Classic Enterprises, which is sadly no longer in business provided the 2.5" drop spindles a dozen or so years ago. Other than some surface rust, everything appears to be quite serviceable. 



I'll also be detailing the drag links and replacing a couple of boots that got beat up by the wire wheel I was using. I'll be repacking the grease remove when I stripped all grease in preparation for a fresh coat of paint. 

Driver side, here we come. You're next passenger side!

Onward.

Sneak preview. I've found that Speedway offers the rear 5-lug conversion kit that I'll be needing to convert to Cragar SS rims. I'll be researching other manufacturers but it's nice knowing that Speedway exists as an option. 









Comments

Popular Posts