2.28.21 RACK & PINION RESEARCH AND LEARNING --ANOTHER MOD COMETH)


I TORTURED TWO TECH GUYS. ALL FOR THE SAKE OF FORMING A RACK & PINION OPINION. 

After reading a ton of info about rack and pinion steering setup for my Burb, I'm fully convinced that it's well worth the investment. The question was, which setup do I use?

After reading as much as I could about the best setup for C10s, I've come the conclusion that the best options available are the No Limit setup and the POL (PerformanceOnline.com) rack and pinions are both well engineered, new pieces and I found c10 owners who'd successfully used both and had good things to say. 

I called and talked to techs at both companies and came away with a winner. No Limit, while a little pricier, was my preferred option. 

HE NO LIMIT RACK AND PINION WAS THE NO-BS WINNER.

Their tech guy, Rob, offered me a 10% discount and answered all of my questions, and directed me more info on their site. 

What at first seemed a slight disadvantage, having to drill through the driver side frame for the steering arm to pass through, and perhaps having to modify modify the placement of the driver side motor mount at first seemed like a barrier.





But then I realized, the tech at No Limit wasn't telling me what I wanted to hear. He was telling me what I needed to hear. A few yeses, a few maybes and a lot of explanation happened. 

In the course of the explanations, I realized that I was getting worst-case scenarios and that No Limit actually provided a part for the steering shaft to pass throuh the frame, and detailed instructions in their installation guide. 

They weren't bull-shitting. I told the tech I wanted the unvarnished truth and that's what I got. In the course of out conversation, I actually mentioned that I was toying with the idea of moving my crossmember forward an inch but had decided against it. 

Rob, No Limit's tech begged to differ. He explained that moving the crossmember forward and inch was a great way to help make everything work a little better, even if it means having to drill some extra holes. He also shared that there are options for the motor mounts situation that would likely prevent interference at the motor mount. 

He reinforced that the goal of going with rack and pinion is to get the engine as low as possible for the best handling characteristics and that moving the crossmember would likely benefit me in that regard. 

NEWS FLASH: I WILL BE MOVING MY CROSSMEMBER FORWARD ONE INCH FOR A LOT OF GOOD REASONS.

I will also be purchasing a No Limit Rack and Pinion setup. It was a good day of researching on this cold day in Texas. 




Comments

Popular Posts