2.2.21 WHEN. THINGS. SLOW. DOWN.

 


It's only natural to want a project to move forward quickly. I've felt that way all my life. In a big ass hurry to achieve goals. But wait. Maybe that's missing a point. 

So, I'm learning to embrace a new mentality. 

When the temptation strikes to get things done quicker, I. Slow. Down. 

Rushing has never been how I do my best work. Moving forward in an organized fashion is how I keep from freaking out over how much reassembly and detailing, and parts I'll need to get Ratiki into daily-driver form. 

Case in point. The pancaking of my front cross-member, We ran out of time this weekend and filling 41 holes in the firewall, and finishing the cutting of the cross-member took more time than we realized.

This is supposed to be enjoyable. So I remind myself. Every setback is a chance to rethink. To make things better, even if it's only 5% better. 

I've learned that the journey is half the joy. 

So, I take my time. I ask people I know and trust and who understand stuff better than I do to explain it to me. I try my best to listen carefully because time is money and some of my friends are mechanics, engineers, and restorers, and fabricators, and I don't like wasting people's time any more than I do my own. I let their experiences guide me forward. And sometimes, I pay friends to help me do the things I can't do well enough to be satisfied.

But when I do that, I make a point of it to watch, learn, and always offer to do the grunt work. I visualize myself doing it. And then I try and do it myself in my own free time.  

I always make sure I have the right tools and don't try to skip steps. And if one of my tool malfunctions, I try to fix it, and if I can't, I pitch it and replace it with a better quality tool, if possible. 

I was talking to a friend yesterday who I don't know well and I was laughing about how crazy it is that I'll attempt to do anything, even if it scares me. He stopped me cold and commented, "I love making mistakes. That's how I learn. That's my secret.  

Today I made a mistake. I knocked my vintage AC unit off of my bench and onto the floor. A piece of plastic snapped. Shit! 

Then I realized. It's probably fixable. And if it's not fixable, I'll order whatever replacement part is necessary. I won't try to fix it fast. I'll. Take. My. Time. 

I'll try to make the repair stronger than the original piece. I'll resign myself to learning something from trying to repair it. 

Including a willingness to admit the fucker's unfixable. 

Time to do some glue research. 








Comments

Popular Posts