UNDERCOATING, IT'S A DIRTY JOB BUT I HAVE TO DO IT.


 

Removing automotive paint and undercoating is a truly grubby job. But in an effort to do the job right, I spent a good few hours masking off the driver side of my firewall and running a wire wheel on the lower sections of my driver side firewall and floorboard to remove the existing undercoating.  

I began by masking, as the wire brush loves to dance and I don't want to remove paint from the pretty part of my firewall. And by pretty, I mean the part that you can pretty much see once the truck's back together. 


Which begs the question. Why work so diligently to remove undercoating where I'm simply going to add it back? Why remove paint for a crossmemeber that you won't be able to bee once the engine is back in?Why do all the extra work?  

Fair questions. 


To me, it all comes down to the tenets of craftsmanship. 


Craftsmanship is rarely about doing things the easy way. It generally requires more time. Which is where craft comes. Craft is what happens when you do your best because that's the way you roll.

The joy is in the smallest of details and knowing you took the time to do it to the best of your abilities.

 So, who's going to know how diligently I did the prep once the undercoating is back on? 

I'll know. 

That's the way I'm approaching the renovation of my truck. Even when it's a dirty job. 


 



Comments

Popular Posts