1.6.21 GAS TANK CONUNDRUM

ON. THE LEFT, MY EXISTING FUEL PUMP (NOTE THE FLOAT PLACEMENT)
ON. THE RIGHT, THE WRONG PART FROM HOLLEY. DOH.
 

Welp, we hit a bit of a snag. I ordered a Holley in-tank high--pressure fuel pump for my Sniper system and upon receiving it yesterday, came to find out the unfortunate news. 

Holley doesn't make a setup for the Suburban tank which differs from the more common C10 tank. 

Long story short. I will either need to cut a hole in my tank and plumb a customizable universal Holley system, or take a deep breath, bend over and buy a fully custom tank from another vendor with the exact fuel pump arrangement I need already plumbed. 

The easiest solution is rarely the most affordable one. And my wife isn't terribly interested in seeing me destroy the stock tank and tear my hair out in the process. 

So I put in a call to Boyd's Welding to inquire about their custom-built tanks, a vendor I've read good things about on the 67-72chevytrucks web blog where I've been doing a lot of my research. 

 Custom-built. Two words I've come to resent but quite possibly the right answer, all things considered. 

he only good news? Given that I'd restored my tank last time around and replaced the float, I might be able to recoup a couple hundred bucks by selling my original tank.

Do I look like a guy who wants to pop for a custom-built gas tank? 

I'll keep you all posted. 


The old tank is in surprisingly nice shape and clean as a whistle on the inside. 

A FEW MEASUREMENTS AND OTHER NOTES:

30" (including flanges) X 19" X 13" HIGH
Filler neck is on the driver side and mounted on the upper side roughly 2/3rds of the way back on the tank. The filler neck is slightly higher than the top of the tank (1/2") and the neck goes over the rear frame and out to the factory fuel door.

Boyd's Welding cannot build the tank and referred me to AZ Performance to look at a universal tank. 
Stay tuned. 












Comments

Popular Posts