12.27 THE MOMENT OF TRUTH ARRIVES.




It's here. The Smeding engine has arrived. 

But it's not going in until the detailing is done on the frame, inner fenders, etc. It also occurred to me that the brake reservoir and fuel delivery lines should be re-plumbed before the drivetrain goes in. 

The other item that needs resolving is the front cross member. 

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH HAS ARRIVED.

In order to achieve the ride height I want, I needed a lowered drop member. Several options exist. Ill b e sharing them over the next couple of weeks and making a determination which way to go. 

Porterbuilt, GSI Fabrication, Chopping Block, and Scott's all make a C10 drop member kits. Each one relocates the wheel forward one inch and shortens the track so that the front tire has as much turning radius as possible.

Another option is to pancake the stock cross member 1.5 inches and Z the frame two inches. Doing so would achieve 3.5" more ground clearance and allow Ratiki's rode height to be three inches lower and driving height. 

I'm in the process of stripping the paint from the front rails and will have time to think about the cross member options. I've removed the front cross member completely which gives my full access to the frame rails. It's messy work taking them down to the original metal but I'm doing a thorough job of it, so I know I'll be happy with the results.

I want the underhood area to look as nice and fresh as the engine. Onward. 




MEanwhile, here are some bare metal shots of the frame. A medly of Eastwood paint products are on their way. Until then, I'll keep detailing the meatal and smoothing it for a few coats of rust inhibiting paint. 

The utimate goal is a smooth, semi-gloss black frame to showcase the underhood's drivetrain. All wri9ng and hoses will be retouted and the wiring will be rewarapped in a better quality looming material form Paiinless. 

Morte to come. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts