12/11 REZ POWER STEERING AND STEERING BOX REMOVAL

 

Today I got my ass handed to me by a power steering box. Right after removing the fuel pump, and taking this reference shot -- note the 90-degree angle fitting on the left/backside versus the straight fitting on the front line -- I moved onto my ass-kicking. 

Otherwise known as the aftermarket power steering box.

Having not installed the box, made by Rez Engineering, I couldn't tell how it was attached. But the nuts and bolts weren't all consistent in size. This was my first warning shot that all was not as simple as it looked. 

Finally, through patience, I was able to remove the box and found that the frame plates are really well-engineered. Beefy. 

The kit has a plate on both the inner and outer frame. This gets confusing in a hurry so I'll try to use words and reference shots to explain.



ABOVE: This is the plate from the inside of the frame reattached top the box so that I can see which bolts go into the box vs. which ones secure the plates to the frame.  All bolts that goe directly into the PS Box are consistent in size. Three of the bolts pass through from inside plate with bolt heads on the pass side:

The far top left (11oclock) 
The #4 fourth hole clockwise (3oclock position)
The far lowest left (#7 clockwise or 7oclock)]

The far bottom right #5 bolt attaches the plates to the frame, while bolt head #6 in six o'clock position.


This is the inner plate zipped in place. 

To make matters slightly more complicated, the box has shims that go between the box and the outer plate.
Upper part of this photo show the shim in place. The four bolts that attach directly to the steering box each have a shim in between the plate and the box. It's probably 1/4-1/3" in depth. If you look at the photo below at roughly10-11 o'clock, you can see one of the shims between the red frame reinforcement plate and the lowest ear of the steering box. 




This is the outer frame plate with the box removed but the plate in position. Note 






It wasn't until I reconstructed the set-up off of the frame that it all made sense. By reconnecting everything, I was able to suss it out. The inner plate mounts to the outer frame plate with two bolts that do not attach to PS Box.  The box itself mounts to the outside frame plate via four bolts. 
Three bolts run directly through the outer frame plate and into the steering box. 

I hope that makes sense. We'll know when it't time to reattach it if I've explained it well enough. 

I didn't absolutely need to remove it but wanted to get it off the frame rail to give me access for cleaning and detail painting the frame rail. Glutton for punishment? Guilty. 

It's a beefy unit BTW, made by a company called REX Engineering, and the reinforcement plates prove it. It probably took me an hour and a half but it felt like three days. Again, my mechanical skills are far from dazzling. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts